Lieut. Adele Foreman Home After Release From Japanese Camp - Seeks Only 'Good Rest'



Lieut. Adele Foreman Home After Release From Japanese Camp - Seeks Only 'Good Rest'

Date Created



Temporal Coverage

World War, 1939-1945

Spatial Coverage


The Bethlehem globe-times. (Bethlehem, Pa.) 1925-1977




Clipping extracted from The Bethlehem globe-times pertaining to WWII military personnel from the Lehigh Valley, part of the BAPL WWII Newspaper Clipping Collection.

Digital Format





Bethlehem Area Public Library


Entries added in 2013 funded in part with Federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Office of Commonwealth Libraries.

Date Submitted





March 03, 1945
Lieut. Adele Foreman Home After Release From Japanese Camp --- Seeks Only ‘Good Rest’
Home After Three Years in Jap Camp

[CAPTION] Relaxed and rested after a good night’s sleep, First Lieutenant Adele Foreman, U.S. Army Nurse, is shown above with Miss Lucille Lynn, with whom she is residing, and who was her classmate at St. Luke’s Hospital when the girls were in training.

[ARTICLE] “And please don’t call me in the morning,” were the words of First Lieutenant Adele Foreman, U.S. Army Nurse, who was imprisoned by the Japanese Government since the fall of Corregidor, as she returned home last evening after her liberation.

Lieutenant Foreman, who lives with the Lynn family at 626 Third Avenue, was just plain anxious for a good night’s sleep, and the chance to just linger in bed in the morning, something she hasn’t done for a number of years.

Today marks the first month of her liberation, as it was February 3 when an American tank drove right up to the door of Santo Tomas prison camp and the commander yelled out, “Open the d--- door or I’ll drive right through”.

After that came the pinning of her silver bars of a first lieutenant on her jacket by Five Star General Douglas MacArthur; then the eventful plane trip to California; another plane trip to Washington, D.C., and then the final trip to Bethlehem.

It took the attractive “Angel of Mercy” nearly five years to complete somewhat of a cycle. It was on July 20, 1940, that she left this country for service in the Philippines, and on her return to this country one of her first stops was at the Alter Reed Hospital, Washington, the place of her first assignment after graduating from St. Luke’s Hospital in 1937.

Looking in fine health despite the ordeal of three years imprisonment, Lieutenant Foreman rose about 10:30 o’clock this morning and greeted reporters.

Arriving home last evening, Lieutenant Foreman was greeted at the station by Miss Lucille Lynn, with whom she went through training at St. Luke’s.

Tanned and neatly trimmed in a new uniform, she proudly displayed the Bronze Star Medal for work in caring for the wounded, the Pearl Harbor ribbon with a foreign service star, the Asiatic-Pacific ribbon with two stars for the battles of Bataan and Corregidor, and two ribbons awarded by the Philippine government, one for the entire campaign, and one for liberation.

For the past year, Lieutenant Foreman said their diet consisted of a mixture of rice and corn. However, prior to that time she said they had some meat, which wasn’t too bad.

After visiting her relatives, Lieutenant Foreman will go to Miami Beach, Fla., for a rest period, at an Army Recreation Center there. She plans to leave for Florida sometime in April, and following that she will return to active duty.

While in Florida, Lieutenant Foreman will be with her sister, and Miss Lynn, who will make the trip with her.

Item sets